Minneapolis, MN CE Academy - Building Envelope Theme
Wednesday, July 24, 2013 from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM (CDT)
Minneapolis, MN - Building Envelope Theme
July 24, 2013
6 AIA HSW CE Hours
2 GBCI CE Hours for LEED Professionals
08:00 - 09:00 AM TBD
09:10 -10:10 AM
Recycled Content Surfacing Materials: Identifying Value Under LEED and Beyond
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course Number: ICS06C
1 GBCI CE Hour for LEED Professionals | GBCI course ID: 0090009501
AIA Provider: Infospec, Inc.
This one hour live course describes the importance of recycled content surfaces and their
environmental significance including reducing the use of natural resources and improving indoor
air quality. We will compare and contrast traditional and recycled surfacing materials and explain
the importance of “going beyond green.”
10:20 -11:20 AM
Exterior Continuous Insulated Claddings for Energy Efficiency and Architectural Diversity
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course Number: BL0002
1 GBCI CE Hour for LEED Professionals | GBCI Course ID: 0090005704
Provider: Dryvit System, Inc.
Presenter: Bob Dazel, AIA, LEED GA
1. Deconstruct the "perceived" value of traditional insulation methods and reduced performance
within framed wall assemblies and reconstruct new strategies for developing true "effective"
insulation value and high performance.
2. Identify and define model energy code and green design standard's requirements for exterior
3. Differentiate between "prescriptive" R-value "performance" U-factor wall design paths and
recognize where continuous insulation must be integrated.
4. Discover the interrelationship between exterior insulated cladding and the use of continuous
insulation to achieve energy efficient, cost effective and aesthetically pleasing design solutions.
11:30 - 12:30 PM
Steep Slope Stone Coated Metal Roofing Systems (This course is in the process of being revised)
1 AIA HSW CE Hour
Provider: InfoSpec, Inc.| AIA Course Number: IMU07C
Sponsor: Metals USA
• Define stone coated Metal.
• Depict how stone coated Metal roofing is manufactured.
• Explain the benefits of stone coated metal roofing.
• Demonstrate new and innovative ideas to take into the design process for schools, hospitals
and other commercial applications, and to help you through that process.
• Discuss how specifying stone coated metal roofing systems may contribute towards a project
earning LEED certification.
• Describe how Stone Coated Metal Roofing Systems are energy efficient & Energy Star qualified.
• Explain the cost benefits of Stone Coated Metal roofing systems.
12:30 - 01:30 PM Lunch sponsored by Wesley Sherrer with NCFI
01:30 - 02:30 PM
Polyiso-The High Performance choice for Continuous Insulation in Commercial Wall Assemblies
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course Number: HP104
AIA Provider: Hunter Panels
Presenter: Andy Myers
1. Understand the advancement of National Model Energy Codes as they relate to the energy
efficiency of the building envelop.
2. Define and understand "continuous insulation" and how its use effects energy code compliance,
current ASHRAE Standards, LEED the Energy Star program and the International Energy
3. Understand the environmental features and benefits of Polyisocyanurate insulation including thermal
performance, long service life, recycled content, negligible GWP and zero ODP.
4. Understand the NFPA 285 fire test and its role in code compliant wall assemblies.
02:40 - 03:40 PM
PVC Roofing Materials, Performance, Construction, Functionality – One of a Kind?
1 AIA HSW Hour | AIA Course Number: SDR116
AIA Provider: Carlisle Construction Material
Presenter: John Greko
PVC is one of the most diverse products in the building industry and one of the most misunderstood.
This presentation will help to better understand why PVC is one of the most versatile and modifiable thermoplastics.
With all the different formulations, types, reinforcements and construction, knowledge of this product type will assist the specifier in creating better specifications.
03:50 - 04:50 PM
EPDM Defining the Standard for 50 years
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course Number: SDR 113
AIA Provider: Carlisle Construction Materials
Presenter: Dave Millard
Participants will learn the features and benefits of EPDM roofing solutions that have been proven
to perform as well as advancements in technology that contribute to higher quality installations
and long term service life.
05:00 - 06:00 PM TBD
"This Agenda is not a final schedule, and is subject to updates, additions and changes.
When changes are final, this will no longer say “Preliminary”.
When & Where
CE Academy, Inc.
The CE Academy is coming to a city near you!
Are you a design professional or spec writer in need of CE credit hours to maintain your AIA membership or state license? CE Academy, Inc. organizes 4-8 hours of continuing education in a seminar format so you can earn multiple CE hours at one time.
These AIA and/or GBCI registered courses provide education credit. CE Academy will also manage the reporting of your credits to the AIA and email you a certificate of completion for your records after the event.
Available education credits include:
>> AIA HSW CE Hours
>> GBCI CE Hours for LEED® Professionals
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For a list of accessible education and LEED webinar courses, please visit GreenCE.